My biggest tip when planning a party is to walk around your home & look for items that can be reused instead of buying something new. Also search Craiglists & Facebook Marketplace for bargain pieces. I have so much fun turning other people’s “trash” into something beautiful & giving it a new life. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box & repurpose the item in an unexpected way such as a dresser as a beverage station. I’ve had so many people ask me about the dresser & crib frame DIY projects I created for Bella’s Lemonade Birthday Party that I decided to share all the details below, along with a couple other fun project tips & freebies!
Dresser Lemonade Stand:
I found this old ugly dresser on Facebook Marketplace & decided I would refurbish it into her vintage style lemonade stand.
- First I cleaned the outside & inside of the dresser with a mixture of vinegar & water & let it dry
- Next I removed all the hardware & patched the holes with wood putty
- Then I applied 3 coats of Annie Sloans Old White Chalk Paint – you’ll want to let each coat dry before applying the next. I did this over a series of days because I’m a busy mom of 3 but it can be done all in 1 day. Tip for the final coat– add a little water to the paint to thin it out to give the project a more smooth finish.
- I then applied a layer of Annie Sloan Clear Wax to seal the paint. I used an Annie Sloan wax brush to apply the wax then gently wiped off the excess with cloth.
- Finally I installed new vintage hardware on the dresser that I purchased from Etsy. (And when I say “I”, I really mean my husband James- ha)
*I bought my Annie Sloan products at a local store called Silk & Sage. They have both Annie Sloan & Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint in the store with lots of samples of both so it’s easy to choose a color you love. The owner gave me helpful tips & showed me how to apply the wax since this was my 1st project. They offer classes too, which would make for a fun girls night out! Highly I recommend shopping local 🙂
So here is the finished dresser- I just love how it turned out!
Crib Mattress Frame Picture Display:
I found this rusted crib mattress frame for free on the Nextdoor App. I spray painted it with Rust-Oleum Matt Robin’s Egg blue spray paint which is the same colored I used on her high chair. Then used pink clothes pins I found at Michael’s to hang the pictures.
Lemonade Banner & Sign:
Who doesn’t love a FREE printable- get it here!
Ruffle Cake & Cupcakes:
1/2 cup Crisco
1 stick of butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 cps sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
-Just cream together & add desired food coloring.
Lemon Food Labels:
I created these myself- download them here Food Labels