When I was growing up I loved to read but after having kids I found it harder & harder to make time for books. After the end of a long hard day full of tantrums & messes, the last thing I wanted to do was read. Instead I wanted to veg out on the couch & watch a rerun of Fixer Upper- got to love that JoJo! But I kept hearing my friends talk about all these amazing books they were reading & one of them suggested Audible. I was skeptical to say the least. All I could imagine was some boring guy reading & putting me to sleep. But I decided to check it out & to my surprise I found that most of the books I was interested in were read by the authors themselves. What’s better than reading a book by Lysa Terkeurst? Having Lysa read her book to you herself! It made the books seem so much more personal & allowed me to really connect with the author in a new way. After “reading” aka listening to my 1st book I was hooked! I now devour books on Audible & when I really love a book, I will often finish it in just 2-3 days where as before it would take me weeks to read a book. It’s great because I can listen while I’m driving, cooking, walking & evening taking a bath. All places I could never read a tangible book, which is why I now start a new book almost every week. I’ve always had a goal to read through the Bible in 1 year & now thanks the One Year Chronicle Bible on Audible, I’m doing it! I highly recommend giving Audible a try & right now when you sign up they will give you 2 free book downloads…..
So whether you’re new to Audible or a long time member I thought I’d share a few of my favorite books which are all read by the authors, except the Bible of course because God has better things to do than record an Audible book.
1) One Year Chronological Bible: This book takes the bible & arranges it in chronological order it was written rather than the standard layout. I’ve found it very helpful in understanding the Bible & history when it’s read to me in the order it took place. Makes me wonder why it’s not arranged like this to begin with!
2) Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker: This was the 1st book I read on Audible & is one of her earlier written books (2014). It really challenged me to look at church differently & I loved it. Now I read this long before her controversial statements of 2016 & that’s all I’m going to say about that one.
3) Crazy Love by Francis Chan: One of the best books I’ve read & challenges you to think past the “norms” of Christianity & get outside your comfort zone.
4) Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa Terkeurst: Apparently I like to read books that challenge me in my walk of faith. I felt like this book gave some very practical advice on how to be different in my everyday life.
5) The Magnolia Story by Chip & Joanna Gaines: Have a mentioned once or a thousand times how much I love Fixer Upper?! This book is read by Chip & Joanna and it feels like their just sitting in my living room sharing their story. If you’re a Fixer Upper fan this is a must read!
6) Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist: I felt as if she had gotten in my mind & was writing the story of my life! I experienced a very similar burn out & could identify so much with this book. I started recommending it to everyone I knew even before I finished it!
7) Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle: After hearing her speak at my MOPS group I knew I wanted to read her book. It’s written as a personal memoir full of stories that will have you laughing hysterically- especially if you’re a mom!
Have you listened to any good books lately? I’m always on the hunt for good books, leave a comment below with your recommendations!
*this post contains affiliate links